Monday 5 March 2018

My Purity Ring

I remember the day as if it was yesterday.  My thirteenth Birthday, on June 9th, of 2014, we were at my grandparents house when my Mom and Dad took me out for ice cream, and to take a walk in the art garden.  We had a heart to heart discussion about my future, and then,  I received the gift that I wear 24/7, on my left hand, as a symbol of a promise.  This is a promise that I made to my parents.  I promised to keep my heart pure, and it would belong to my parents, until the day my Daddy gives me away.
What does this mean to me?  For me, it holds several different meanings. 
 First reason, is that I will save my heart, for my future soulmate.  Until then, it remains in my Dad's possession.  I have decided to wait.  I know that God has my future in the palm of his hand, and that he has created, and is molding someone for me, to spend the rest of my life with.  Therefore, I decide to wait, and not settle for less.
 Second reason.  I have decided to not date in high school.  Not dating while in school, I believe gives me the freedom to just be friends with everyone, but not only that, it gives me the ability to fully invest in my future as an individual person.  To be able to learn, and grow in my relationship with Christ, and the people around me and also to prepare for what God has in store for me in the next few years.
 Third reason.  After high school, when there is a special someone, my parents and family will be completely involved.  They will help me see things, that maybe I don’t see, but also because I know my parents are a LOT wiser and more knowledgeable than I am.  They’ve been down that road and will be able to help me make decisions wisely!

When I was first given my ring, these were (and are) my parents convictions.  I obeyed and complied because I had to, and straying from those guidelines, wasn't an option.   But as time has gone on, and as I have watched girls my age, be in and have dating relationships, I have taken what was, before, my parents ideals, and adopted them as my own.  I have realized how important they are, and that there are sweet benefits that come from waiting and choosing to keep my heart pure.

Am I saying this because I think everyone needs to do it the way my family does it?  Absolutely not!  But I know for me, this is the path I want to take.



Me, three years ago. :p









No comments: